Find outliers in your data, using a funnel plot
On occasion, we find patterns in statistical noise that lead us to incorrect conclusions about the underlying data.
The funnel plot helps you compare samples, and find true outliers among the measurements with varying precision. It’s widely used for comparing institutional performance and medical data analysis.
In our example, the measurements are rates of certain events (such as births) in populations (such as countries) of given size.
This visual uses a fixed effect model estimator. You can control the visual attributes to suit your needs.
NEW: support for tooltips on hover and selection.
Here is how it works:
- Define two required fields to be analyzed in plot (occurrence and population fields)
- Optionally, provide the fields to be shown in tooltips upon hover
- You may select the Y axis to present percentage or ratio
- Use numerous formatting controls to refine the visual appearance of the plot
- The “funnel” is formed by confidence limits, and show the amount of expected variation. The dots outside the funnel are outliers.
R package dependencies (which are auto-installed): scales, reshape, ggplot2, plotly, htmlwidgets, XML
Supports R versions: R 3.4.0, R 3.3.3, R 3.3.2, MRO 3.2.2
This is an open source visual. Get the code from GitHub: https://github.com/Microsoft/powerbi-visuals-funnel
- Can read and make changes to your document
- Can send data over the Internet
***** Related Blog Posts *****
Creating Multi Threaded Dynamic Visuals – Advanced Power BI Technique
Custom Dynamic Segmentation Using DAX In Power BI
***** Related Video Tutorials *****
Create Dynamic Visuals Based On Ranking in Power BI w/DAX
Outlier Detection & Visualization in Power BI – Advanced DAX
How To Use Virtual Tables With COUNTROWS in Power BI – DAX Formula Technique
RANKX Considerations – Power BI & DAX Formula Concepts
Manufacturing Operations – Power BI Showcase
***** Related Course Modules *****
Ultimate Beginners Guide to Power BI
Power BI Super Users Workshop
Solving Analytical Scenarios w/ Power BI & DAX
Advanced Analytics in Power BI
Financial Reporting w/ Power BI
Power BI Showcases